Skip to content

‘Factions’ in PAS a positive sign

October 18, 2013

Alyaa Azhar (FMT) October 17, 2013

The contest between two factions is positive as long as it brings about dynamism in the party, says Dzulkefly Ahmad.

PETALING JAYA: PAS research centre head Dzulkefly Ahmad feels that ‘factions’ and contests in the party brings about dynamism and awareness among members to be alert on who they want as leaders.

“I would not want to even call it a conflict or divide. I personally feel that it is one of dynamics of our party,” he said in an interview with FMT.

PAS consists of religious leaders, professionals, as well as activists and many have said that the party is therefore split between the conservative clerics and liberal professionals.

Dzulkefly said claiming that the party had no conflict at all would be incorrect.

“I would not want to be in denial. If I were to say that it is non-existent I think that is not quite right,” he said.

He urged all members to abide to the party’s code of conduct.

“We are now able to outwardly campaign. We have been given the code of conduct on how to campaign and not bring down another,” he said.

Dzulkefly said the good points about the candidates could be discussed but attempts to denigrate them were prohibited.

“Hopefully we will see that all these will be observed by all contestants and supporters,” he said.

He added that the professionals were less aggressive in their campaigns compared with the religious leaders.

However, he hoped that through debates and forums, voices of the two factions could be heard.

“We will be having some forums and platforms to debate issues.

“Hopefully, we will have a better chance of listening to both sides and see how we can improve the party,” he said

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. Mohamed Said permalink
    October 18, 2013 3:49 am

The religious, professional and activist are all our brothers. We need all of them. Let’s have a congenial family election and let the best man wins

2. najib manaukau permalink
    October 18, 2013 4:52 am

This is democracy in action ! Or should I say true democracy in action !

3. October 18, 2013 5:45 am

there must not be any sore losers. I hope some economic and education aspect of the aspirants are pronounce. Many are fed up with incumbents just showing their face without giving their values and ideas. Please be different from UMNO whose idea of popularity is the amount of minority bashing.
    PAS candidates must show their creativity on how to bring this country forward and table it to the voting members.

4. Dr. Dzul permalink*
    October 18, 2013 6:57 am

TQVM for all your positive comments frens. Even negative ones will do us good to check and balance us. The imperative of ‘Check and Balance’ is actually Quranic and I know of 2 verses that directly talked of that need to constantly be in checked as to evade excesses, ruling with impunity and arrogance. Incidentally it is called the Law of Check and Balance or ‘Sunnatud Tadafuk’ in Arabic. Thanks again.

5. passerby00 permalink
    October 18, 2013 3:11 pm

what is worrisome is how the PAS Kelantan faction would now react to the outspoken critic – Datuk Husam Musa. Despite no longer in the Exco in the state, he is very well-versed with the running of the state corporations as well as the economics policies of the Kelatan state. It seems that after ex-MB Nik Aziz retired; the state government now has a penchant just like the Kedah government to open more licences for logging. Perhaps Datuk Husam Musa’s action of questioning the indirect sanction by the Sultan to do so may have ruffled the feathers of the royalties and thereby caused him no longer to be appointed in the Exco but sadly; where is the insistence of the State Government to pursue rightful oil royalty revenue from the Federal Government now?

6. October 30, 2013 8:35 am

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided
    to check out your website on my iphone during
    lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful site!