AUG 19 -TMI — As Sherlock Holmes says, it is elementary. I am, of course, referring to this protracted attempt by Chua Soi Lek, the MCA and its rag sheet, The Star, to make people fear PAS.
Firstly, let me point out that it was none other than the most destructive politician in Malaysian history, Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who declared this country an Islamic state. Not one squeak was heard from any of the MCA leaders.
One can only conclude that they were afraid to lawan with abang besar, Umno, or that they were busy scheming get-rich-quick schemes, likes PKFZ.
Instead of getting caught up in he-said-they-said polemics, Malaysians should just compare the politicians on both sides of the divide and their characters.
I believe we have more to fear from MCA than PAS. History has proven that MCA is a eunuch in BN and consists of politicians more keen on their personal welfare than that of the common man.
Who would you pick?
1) Chua Soi Lek or Nik Aziz Nik Mat
2) Liow Tiong Lai or Mat Sabu
3) Ng Yen Yen or Dr Siti Mariah
4) Wee Ka Siong or Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad
5) Kong Chong Ha or Khalid Samad
6) Chor Chee Heung or Dr Rani Osman
7) The Star or Harakah
When I look at those PAS leaders, I don’t run for cover or feel trepidation at the onset of some theocracy. I know I will get honesty from many of them. I might not agree with all they do or say. But when I look at that MCA line-up, I know what to expect from them: a big zero.
BTW: These days not much differentiates The Star from Harakah. Both are party organs.
* Ali Kadir reads The Malaysian Insider.
* This is the personal opinion of the writer or publication and does not necessarily represent the views of The Malaysian Insider.